Thursday, January 23, 2014

Employee of the Quarter

-->



What an awkward thrill, yet guilty reflex, to receive this honor. I was extremely surprised as I walked into a room filled with a few departments, I knew something must be going on. Then when all eyes sprung to me and my boss pulled out a paper the edges of my mouth started to tick and my eyes started sprinting around the room not sure where to stop. It is always a relief to know that others see your hard work, but once they acknowledge it for me, the relief turns to guilt.


I immediately started remembering the hour and a half lunch break I took last week, and that mistake I made on a recent project, and the times I’ve checked my Facebook during work hours. All my mistakes and moments of slacking come to the surface as I try to fight through the muck as my boss is validating and complimenting the ways I have contributed to the team.


Team…yes team, so many people on our team, is management sure I deserve this achievement more than anyone else? Will anyone become resentful? Does anyone think I don’t deserve it? How can I thank everyone for giving this to me?


Don’t get me wrong I love compliments, but I am hard on myself so if you give me a compliment I take that as a challenge. Now not only do I have to live up to that compliment, I have to do BETTER than the compliment you just gave me…


And now since I’m parked right in the front I feel obligated to come to work a little early, stay a little later, and make sure I’m living up to the praises others said I contributed. The pressure is now greater, that I place on myself, even though the thanks was for my hard work, I feel as if I need to work harder.


As I keep striving to be the best person I can be, in that process I let myself down continuously. I also reward myself, guilt myself, confuse myself, and doubt myself. Thank you SLD employees for your shown appreciation to all of my successes and failures, I take the achievement humbly, and am loving the reserved parking spot so close to the entrance during these cold temperatures!


Hailey Schultz

No comments:

Post a Comment